Re: Pre-release 2.0.5 breaks network config scripts

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@drinkel.ow.org)
Fri, 24 May 1996 19:42:08 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <4nqddo$ahm@flint.inr.ac.ru>,
really kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru <inr-linux-kernel@ms2.inr.ac.ru> wrote:
>Herbert Rosmanith (herp@wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.AT) wrote:
>: > Can we at least put a patch into route to strip the host portion. This is
>: > the way I use route. I want say: route the net for which this host
>: > address is valid. In this way, a simple shell scripts can say:
>: >
>: > echo -n "Enter IP"
>: > read ip
>: > ifconfig eth0 $ip
>: > route add -net $ip
>
>: how about this patch:
>
>: - route add -net $ip
>: + route add -host $ip
>
>Incorrect. "route add -host $ip" will not add route to your
>ethernet network.

Ah, a shell script programming contest thread ;) How about:

echo -n "Enter IP"
read ip
ifconfig eth0 $ip
route add -net ${ip%.*}.0

The ${x% and ${x# stuff is very flexible..

Mike.

--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |