Re: pre2.0.5 / sbpcd problems

Russ Steffen (rsteffen@ia.net)
Thu, 23 May 1996 18:30:17 -0500 (CDT)

> Graham wrote:
> >On 19 May 96 at 13:47, Russ Steffen wrote:
> >> I don't want sbpcd loaded by kerneld because everytime it loads, it
> >> reinitializes the drive, which takes between 15 to 25 seconds. The
> >> delay is so long that some applications (like audio CD players) may
> >> actually give up before the module has finished loading.
> >> So that, among other things, has forced me to load sbpcd outside
> >> of kerneld.
> >
> >This is a REAL pain..... especially since it is such a large module.
> >Any idea why it takes so long to initialise?
>
> Because you haven't configured include/linux/sbpcd.h to correspond to
> your setup? ie maybe set MAX_DRIVES to 1 if you only have 1 drive.
>
> -Sam.

Well, I can't speak for the person who replied to my original note, but
I have set up sbpcd for my hardware. The initialization time that I was
refering to occurs after my CD had been detected (which happens very quickly).
After it detects my CD, it just grinds and gronks away on the drive for
25 to 30 seconds before it's statisfied that the drive is ready.

Not only is that annoying to have happen every time the module
loads, but it seems rather unnecessary, since the DOS driver for the
CD initializes it in just 2 to 3 seconds.

Russ

| Russ Steffen                                          |
| EMail: rsteffen@ia.net                                |