Re: route/ifconfig and .99

Mike Black (mblack@csihq.com)
Wed, 22 May 1996 07:04:02 -0400

At 10:47 AM 5/10/96 +1000, David Monro wrote:
>Something has changed in 1.3.99 regarding ifconfig and route.
>
>Firstly, using ifconfig on an interface appears to install a route on that
>interface - I think this is new.
>
>Secondly, specifying a device on a route command seems to fail if it the route
>is through a local interface.
>
>What this comes to is that it is a little difficult to manage things on
>machines with two (or more) interfaces on one ip address (in my case, the main
>ethernet, a second one bridging to an expermental box, and a ppp link).

Confirmed...I've got an older a.out system which had the device
specification in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 on the "route" command. At 1.3.99 my
nfs mounts started failing because the route wasn't being added. Strange
thing is the the route DIDN'T show up after ifconfig (netstat -r at that
point showed no route), but it WAS there after booting was finished (had to
manually mount NFS at that point).
-
| Mike Black mblack@csihq.com 407-676-5118, x203 |
| Computer Science Innovations, Inc. 407-676-2355 FAX |
| Melbourne FL 32904-2314 http://www.csihq.com |