Re: fake cache

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu)
Mon, 20 May 1996 11:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

On 20 May 1996, Raul Miller wrote:

> There's this newspaper article about people manufacturing fake cache
> memory chips, and selling motherboards with these things installed.
>
> It would be nice to have a simple diagnostic to check for this from
> inside linux.

IIRC, the 'test' is just a benchmarking program of some sort
where you run it with and without the cache enabled. If you see no
change, you probably have a fake cache. I doubt that there is a simple
hardwware test for this, as it was designed to look real to the hardware.

Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long