Re: tcp/ip filtering

Hartmut Niemann (niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de)
Mon, 20 May 1996 16:18:52 +0200 (MSZ)

omnilord wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 1996, Michael Riepe wrote:
> ..snip..
>
> If someone writes it and puts it into the kernel, and someone else uses
> it, then that means someone has found the module useful. The internet is
That is right. But what you do and discuss seems strange to mw for some
reasons:
(1) searching for offending _words_ does not work or hits the wrong horse.
Words can and should not be censored.
Words get their meaning in context. Look up all the meanings og "gay",
if you want to and read some old english madrigal texts from 16xx!
You probably had to censor them, along with most modern song lyrics.
(2) searching for _words_ can crash a ftp on a compressed file. Or it can not.
but this does not depend on the content of the uncompressed file!
(3) You can not easiliy (without supervising every user) allow users to download
pictures without implicitly allowing them to download pictures you would
like/have to censor. If somebody downloads jeff222.gif - how could you
say whether this is a new linux logo or a naked girl?
(4) packet filtering based on packet contents will cause problems on compressed
and picture files.
=> Your plan most probably has to fail for systematic reasons. So if you want
to discuss linux-specific - go on. But whether or not? does not belong here.

> > Michael "Tired" Riepe <riepe@ifwsn4.ifw.uni-hannover.de>
>
> -omnilord@igc.net
> http://www.igc.net/~omnilord/

I do not want to offend anybody, but with 500+ messages in my mailbox I would like
them to be more kernel-related, or at least linux-related...
+--+
!cu!
+--+ Hartmut

--
Hartmut Niemann
niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
Zum Aussichtsturm 18  D-91080 Marloffstein