Re: binfmt_java problems

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Thu, 16 May 1996 17:01:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 15 May 1996, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Jaques, the point is that the path currently hard-coded in the kernel
> may bloody well not even be accessible to the person who needs to
> install the software. If it should have a fixed path (which I
> personally don't necessarily mind) it should be in /bin or /sbin
> (which in turn could be a symlink.)

I sort of agree with the person who said that we have too many hard-coded
paths in the kernel already. You could put in a default, and if so it
should be in /bin in that /bin is pretty-much guaranteed to be around at
boot time.

But it ought to be something you can override via /proc/sys and, yes,
distributors should expect to have to write something to the /proc file to
override if they don't like the default (and assuming they don't override it
when they load the *MODULE*)....

lilo