Re: Odd root (and suid root) behavior

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 15 May 1996 18:55:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> All,
>
> As of (at least) 1.99.2, an initial root login (or su root) after
> system startup hangs for almost a minute on a 486DX4-100 machine. Once
> logged in, though, everything procedes normally!
>
> This (mis)behavior also applies to the first suid root program run as a
> conventional user after login, if this helps.
>
> I am running shadow passwords if that makes a difference. Sorry not be
> more specific, but this is just so bizarre that I don't know where to
> start! Absolutely _no_ log messages, BTW.
>
> - Steve
>
> --
> |Steven N. Hirsch "Anything worth doing is worth |
> |University of Vermont overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson |
> |Computer Science / EE |

Sorry for my other response to this, ... I misread the statement.

I have had the behavior you describe for some time, not just recently. I
think it stopped when I started using "shutdown -r" instead of "reboot" but
I'm not sure.

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.99.3___
Pascal, n.: A programming language named after a man who would turn over in
his grave if he knew about it.