Re: Possible /etc/kernel.conf?

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 15 May 1996 18:01:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> > On Mon, 13 May 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:
> >
> > > You know. If a /proc/config existed, it could be used during kernel
> > > configuration also. An autoconfig would be only a script away.

> > Well, it would be nice to have an /etc/kernel.conf file, actually. I'm not
> > sure how useful /proc/config would be, but it would be logical to make
> > /etc/kernel.conf a link to it. At the very least, it'd be highly useful to
> > take the basic kernel configuration out of the kernel source directory, at
> > least as some sort of option....
> >
> No, a _file_ /etc/kernel.conf is IMO a bad idea. Those who really need to know how a kernel
> was built usually have more than one kernel to boot, so this information must
> be stored _in_ the kernel image.

How about a file /etc/kernel.conf which contained all the kernel flag
strings. "CONFIG_SCSI" for example.

001 CONFIG_SCSI
002 CONFIG_SCSI_TAPE

The kernel could contain a 'bitmap config' for each of these.

The Makefile could have a:

cat /etc/kernel.conf $(TOPDIR)/Config.symbols > /tmp/KConfig
sort -n -u KConfig > /etc/kernel.conf # remove duplicates

((a more decorated version of course))
which would track all new symbols, keeping only one copy of a symbol.

This would reduce bloat and still provide a complete desciption.

> > lilo
> +--+ Hartmut
>
> --
> Hartmut Niemann
> niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
> Zum Aussichtsturm 18 D-91080 Marloffstein

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.99.3___
Pascal, n.: A programming language named after a man who would turn over in
his grave if he knew about it.