Re: Odd root (and suid root) behavior

Oliver Jowett (oliver@sa-search.massey.ac.nz)
Thu, 16 May 1996 08:50:55 +1200 (NZST)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:
> >
> > Steven N. Hirsch:
> > > As of (at least) 1.99.2, an initial root login (or su root) after
> > > system startup hangs for almost a minute on a 486DX4-100 machine. Once
> > > logged in, though, everything procedes normally!
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed this too, and I think I tracked it down - it seems to hang
> > in syslog() (root logins are logged). Perhaps the large number of

[...]

> > Any ideas how to fix it?
>
> I'll second that one :-)).

Try sysklogd 1.3. I ran into a very similar problem when running diald:
chat would open syslog but not write to it for some time. There was a
little bug in syslogd 1.2 where when a new connection is accepted, a read
is immediately done on it (which will block for a while). Of course,
anything else writing to syslog will then block until the read times out
(? - it's been a while :). sysklogd 1.3 works beautifully for me.

Oliver

--
     "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes it
      harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."

-- Bjarne Stroustrup on C++