Re: /proc/<pid>/status

Tue, 14 May 1996 12:12:07 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Bartlomiej Czardybon wrote:

> Hi.
>
> ps -aux | grep bash on 1.2.13:
> USER PID %CPU %MEM SIZE RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
> czar 1966 0.0 2.9 110 332 pp3 S 18:20 0:00 (bash)

This process is partally swaped out (that's why the () ;) ^^^^^^^

> and on 1.3.100
> USER PID %CPU %MEM SIZE RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
> root 86 0.1 6.4 1140 452 1 S 20:00 0:13 -bash

this one's all in memory ....

> What happened to SIZE and RSS fields ???
>
> I've alse noticed using top that kswap has PRI and NI fields equal -12
> What does it mean ? Other processes have these fields set to 0.

NI is the niceness of a process, setting this high on a background process
that's going to run for a while, is a good thing to do, it'll make the
process take longer, but allows the other people (or you) to get on with
other stuff at the same time. Equally setting these negitive makes the
process run faster. The PRI field is the kernels internal priority for
that process, it's changed by the niceness. The kswapd process is a
kernel thread, and is niced (with a negitive value), because you want to
run it often (it's part of the new(er) swap stuff).

> TIA for any information,

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.