Re: USERS NOT SHOWED!

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Mon, 13 May 1996 23:41:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 May 1996, root wrote:

> I'm using Kernel 1.3.9 and uugetty for Dial-in lines in ppp connections.
> Sometimes, using "who", "finger", some users are not showed.
> I have ttyC0 a ttyC15.

Not a kernel issue. Your ttyC10 - ttyC15 are not "legal" tty names in
Linux. It would really be nice if Cyclades and Comtrol would get a grip
and realize these names cause major headaches to nearly everyone when
they're first exposed to them. Limit yourself to 2 characters after tty,
and the problem goes away. The same goes for cub/cuc/cur/etc.

Here's a little script that will make you 64 utmply correct ttyC devices
and the corresponding cuc's.

#!/usr/bin/perl

@port = ('0'..'9','a'..'z','A'..'Z','_','^');
$major_t=19;
$minor=32;
$major_c=20;

foreach $i (@port) {
system("rm -f /dev/ttyC$i /dev/cuc$i /dev/cub$i");
system("mknod /dev/ttyC$i c $major_t $minor");
system("mknod /dev/cuc$i c $major_c $minor");
$minor++;
system("chown root.tty /dev/ttyC$i /dev/cuc$i");
system("chmod 666 /dev/ttyC$i /dev/cuc$i");
print "made $i\n";
}

note1: The minor number here is for the older 1.2 and 1.3 kernels before
it was moved to 0.
note2: The perms I set may not be good for you...but my system is a
terminal server, where nobody but me gets shell...so they're not too
important to me.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.