Re: Java and the FSSTND

Bradley Broom (broom@fit.qut.edu.au)
Tue, 14 May 1996 11:32:56 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> I really like the Java idea, because we can add in the very same way
> directly executable LISP code
> automagically displaying PostScript (via ghostscript)
> FORTH
> ..what else..?

Windows and DOS binaries ...

> I always thought Java is somthing inside the HTTP world, but now it's
> in the OS. Please ignore my ironic message, but I always thought the
> kernel is policy-free.
>
> Ulrich

Why not have the kernel execute a user-land program (say /bin/runapp)
for any file with the x bit set which is not a.out, ELF, or a directory.
(You would probably keep direct script support in the kernel too.)

The user-land program then determines the type of interpreter to run, etc.,
and could be easily customised. No more Java support in the kernel, but
it's still in the operating system.

Cheers,

Dr. Bradley Broom,
School of Data Communications, Email: broom@fit.qut.edu.au
Queensland University of Technology, Bus. : +61 7 3864 2769
GPO Box 2434, Brisbane, 4001, Australia. Fax : +61 7 3221 2384