Re: Java and the FSSTND

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Mon, 13 May 1996 09:08:59 +0200

On 10 May 96 at 11:00, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> Now that Linux supports Java in the OS, it is a standard part of
> Linux. As such, it no longer belongs in /usr/local. This bit
> of code should be changed:
>
> #define _PATH_JAVA "/usr/local/java/bin/java"
> #define _PATH_APPLET "/usr/local/java/bin/appletviewer"
> #define _PATH_BASH "/bin/bash"
>
> Something like this would be better:
>
> #define _PATH_JAVA "/usr/bin/java"
> #define _PATH_APPLET "/usr/bin/appletviewer"
> #define _PATH_BASH "/bin/bash"

I really like the Java idea, because we can add in the very same way
directly executable LISP code
automagically displaying PostScript (via ghostscript)
FORTH
..what else..?

I always thought Java is somthing inside the HTTP world, but now it's
in the OS. Please ignore my ironic message, but I always thought the
kernel is policy-free.

Ulrich