Re: Java in OS? - [DONE!]

Hasdi R Hashim (hasdi@umich.edu)
Sun, 12 May 1996 22:10:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 May 1996, some soul wrote:
> >On Sun, 5 May 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> >
> >I've sent kernel patches to Linus for this which should make it into one
> >of the next kernels, if Linus allows.
> >

> Hmm, appears to be in 1.3.100. Can you make it so we don't have to add
> <!--applet--> to the first line of an html? How about just assuming
> that an html with its +x set is intended to be run from java?

How do you know it is intended to run from java? For all we know it should
be runned from another program, lynx or netscape. You can do this with
bytecodes because bytecode IS a binary format with its own signature. I
think we should leave this to user-spaced programs like midnight commander
to execute files based on the extensions.

My only complain with bytecodes is that I can't rename the file
"HelloWorld.class" to "hello". >:(

Hasdi