Re: Kernels - What's in and what's out.

Alan Shutko (ats@hurd193.wustl.edu)
Fri, 10 May 1996 16:31:48 -0500

AC> Do I lose voice recognition when I start up an SVGA DOOM? (hmmm,
AC> could DOOM even start?)

Change svgalib so that it can understand whatever you wanted for voice
recognition. But it will be much more difficult to support random
graphical clients than text ones, anyway.

AC> What about X? I'd not want to have to kill and restart the voice
AC> software or require a special X server.

You can have an X client which can send events to other X clients.
Not a problem, been a possibility under X for a long time.

However, you do _not_ want to put special knowledge of the interfaces
required for X, SVGAlib, text, and other random things in the kernel.
The kernel doesn't need to know about it.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@hubert.wustl.edu> - The Few, the Proud, the Remaining.
Since life goes on - you might as well get on with it.