Re: Kernels - What's in and what's out. [Re: Post 2.0 idea]

Brian A. Lantz (brian@lantz.com)
Fri, 10 May 1996 21:15:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Jaco Greeff wrote:

> Ok. Point taken. The idea of the original posting was NOT to include it
> in the kernel. (We cannot take another 200-300K in the kernel. Bloating =
> uncool) A deamon of some sort is a much better idea. I'm sorry if I've
> stepped on some toes. (Just in the midst of the whole Java thing -- not
> cool at all)

Sorry you feel this way, but MANY disagree....

> We all want the same thing: a better Linux, and if we step
> on each others toes while going for that goal, mainly because of small
> misunderstandings, well such is life. Just like JAVA support, speech
> recognition doesn't belong in the kernel itself. (So let's stop this
> about it is that it is so small and flexible. Lets keep it like that.

It would be better if you got the facts together before you started
condemning something.

The Java support is just a few lines of code. The Java executable (user
level process) does the work, and is where the REAL code is. The kernel
support (what little there is) is just to make it transparent.

Brian A. Lantz http://www.lantz.com brian@lantz.com

REAL PORTION of Microsoft Windows code:
while (memory_available) {
eat_major_portion_of_memory (no_real_reason);
if (feel_like_it)
make_user_THINK (this_is_an_OS);
gates_bank_balance++;
}