Re: ideas

J. Sean Connell (diamond@connor.canuck.gen.nz)
Thu, 9 May 1996 09:41:16 +1200 (NZST)

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Brian M Grunkemeyer wrote:

> Excerpts from internet.computing.linux-kernel: 5-May-96 Re: ideas by
> Alan Cox@lxorguk.ukuu.or
> > C++ code is currently slower and has buggier output than well written C (
> > especially as certain people bother to peek at the assembler output). Unless
> > the g++ walking volatile bug has finally been fixed its also not
> > usable. Finally g++ eats memory - forget building on an 8Mb machine with g++
>
> Ok, those are good temporary reasons to not use C++. Those problems
> should improve or eliminate themselves over time, when we might want to
> change our minds. But until then, how about making the kernel
> _compilable_ under C++? The advantages in the stronger type checking
> alone should be more than enough reason to periodically compile the
> kernel w/ g++ to make sure there aren't any subtle type errors. In a
> project like this where everyone's submitting patches randomly, it is a
> good safety measure. There's even a chance it could improve some code
> by pointing out which parameters weren't used in a function. While it
> doesn't guarantee good code, it does prevent sloppy code from causing
> problems.

Why not do what I do when I wanna be paranoid about type checking and
other pedanticities and compile with -Wall, redirect it to a file, and
then go hack it till it compiles without any warnings of any kind?

(Or, under SunOS 4.x, -Wall -Wno-implicit, because the system header
files include *no prototypes!* Go figure...)

--
J. Sean Connell               Systems Software Analyst, ICONZ
diamond@canuck.gen.nz         "Oh life is a glorious cycle of song,