Re: root root. (was ext2 problems on fast-wide SCSI-2)

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 8 May 1996 22:09:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 4 May 1996 root@baroque.co.uk wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 1996, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> >
> > May 3 10:29:06 vineland kernel: free_one_pmd: bad directory entry
> > 00400000
> >
> > sometimes in clusters of as many as 14 (though the directory entry
> > number varies, it's always 00200000, 00400000 or 00800000).
>
> This looks like a traditional one-bit memory error - either in cache or
> in main memory. It should probably be all zero's (meaning "no page
> directory" which is pretty normal ), but it has gotten corrupted, so..
>
> > The message that I saw that got me to write this email (reformatted):
> >
> > EXT2-fs error (device 08:01): ext2_find_entry: bad entry in directory
> > #101620: inode out of bounds - offset=12 inode=4194306, rec_len=12,
> > name_len=2
>
> The inode number is 4194306 = 0x00400002. Again, it looks like it should
> probably be just a plain "2" which is the normal ext2 root inode number,
> but something corrupted it and set one bit in the number (note how it's
> the same 00400000 bit again..)
>
> Linus

click click whirr whirr

Is Linus == root@baroque.co.uk?
Is Derek L. Seaman == root@baroque.co.uk?
Or Gerard ?
Jonathon Claxton?
Leonard?
Mike Wangsmo?

I have messages here with "From" fields of root@baroque.co.uk for all of
these people... and then I saw _this_:

Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 22:42:13 +0000 (GMT)
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in From: address found on vger.rutgers.edu:
From: Gerard Roudier <groudier@iplus.fr@baroque.co.uk>
^-illegal end of route
address, illegal special character in phrase