Re: Linux logo

Buddha Buck (phaedrus@dreamscape.com)
Tue, 07 May 1996 19:46:21 -0400

>=20
> On 5 May 1996, Thomas Quinot wrote:
>=20
> > Tyson D Sawyer (tyson@rwii.com) =E9crit :
> >=20
> > > Sounds like a _much_ better idea to me!
> >=20
> > Indeed. It is to be noted that the BSD people already have a 'BSD d=
aemon
> > smashing window" logo... Perhaps someone endowed with drawing skill=
> > could prepare a "Daemon+Penguin joint attack" ?
>=20
> This would be nice. Perhaps one of them could be riding a GNU?

A hoarde of GNU-riding penguins and daemons beseiging Microsoft Keep=20
perhaps? =20

>=20
> Anyone who is running linux or BSD would probably have made a conciou=
s=20
> choice between them, and we mainly want people to move away from the=20
> Micro$oft stable, then particularly to Linux.

I still say that while all these ideas are good, we should first start=20
by pushing the penguin as a logo for Linux.

As of right now, the penguin is only associated with Linux by the=20
readers of this list. If we seriously want to use the penguin as a=20
logo, then we should start by publicizing that association. Penguins=20
on the warpath against Microsoft makes sense only if you know that the=20
penguins represent Linux, and not Soft-ICE or even Bud Ice (both of=20
which reputedly ise penguins heavily as a symbol)

Perhaps a pitch could be made to have the Linux Journal feature a=20
Penguin waving a Linux 2.0 banner on the cover of the first issue after=
=20
the official release? A penguin on the www.linux.org homepage? An=20
interesting "birds of a feather" gathering at Usenix (tuxedo and tails,=
=20
maybe? Maybe not)? =20

--=20
Buddha Buck bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"She was infatuated with their male prostitutes, whose members were
like those of donkeys and whose seed came in floods like that of
stallions." -- Ezekiel 23:20