Re: linux on HFS? why not HPFS instead?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Wed, 8 May 1996 06:55:37 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

Mike Castle wrote:

>> Unfortunately, you cannot create a case sensitive HFS file system. H=
FS is
>> specified to be case preserving. A Macintosh would have a severe cas=
e of
>> indigestion if you fed it with a directory in which you have created=
both
>> "Makefile" and "makefile".
>
>Can a MAC be used as an NFS server? If so, how do the servers do
>name mangling then?

I'm not aware of one. Presumably they would encode uppercase letters
somehow, or mangle the names entirely and use a "shadow directory" file=
.
(That method might be needed anyway, as Mac names may not be longer tha=
n 31
characters. I don't know if NFS can live with that limitation.)

--=20
I failed the Turing test.
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ Noris Network GmbH i.Gr/ Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'i=
ng
PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=
=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42