FreeVMS project

Alan Cox (iialan@iifeak.swan.ac.uk)
Tue, 7 May 1996 10:19:53 +0100 (BST)

> From: LEVITTE@angela.ctrl-c.liu.se (EMACS _FTA25)
> Check http://www.lp.se/free-vms/

I suspect that project is mildly doomed. The words:

Only developers will become part of the list.
and
(that runs Mach)

don't sound great. I'd throw back a more I think relevant question. Is there
anything fundamental that cannot be run over a (possibly mildly modified)
Linux kernel and shared libs. I can see some of the stuff is fun (notably
the asynchronous SYS$QIO and the freakier tty features). I'd have to write
unix2julian julian2unix date convertors (I've done it once never again!).

Regardless of where you aim to go there is an awful lot of potential for
reusing code.

I still think its possible that way, and a VAX CPU emulator would complete
the details.

Alan