Re: ideas

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Tue, 7 May 1996 11:09:10 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <m0uG5qa-0005FgC@lightning.swansea.linux.o=
rg.uk>,
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
> > but at a cost of speed. There are also more C wizards in linux land=
than=20
> > GAWK wizards. More people working on something, the faster it gets =
done, or
> > the better it is, at least this is true of linux.
>=20
> Go ahead and do it. Actually I suspect gawk will beat you or come ver=
y close.
> Its virtually I/O bound and it beats gcc -M doing basically the same =
task.
>=20
The gawk way to do this is neat, _but_ it has a MAJOR problem -- I cann=
ot
mount my kernel sources read-only and symlink to them because the Makef=
ile
depends on touching the .h files. :-(
I'd rather go back to gcc -M. Yes it's slow, but at least it leaves my
source files alone.

The Makefiles also depend on nobody doing a "make -t". :-(

> But not than C++ calls or multiple calls or the other mess. I've not =
found
> a single problem with printk, because gcc supports typechecking of pr=
intf's
>=20
IMHO, that's the best feature of gcc. ("gcc -E -dD" is a close second, =
for
me.)

--=20
Synonym: The word you use when you don't know how to spell the one you
want to use.
-- "Laughs Unlimited"
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ Noris Network GmbH i.Gr/ Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'i=
ng
PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=
=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42