Re: linux on HFS? why not HPFS instead?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Sun, 5 May 1996 13:07:45 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <Pine.LNX.3.93.960505025601.2581B-100000@t=
angiers.flex.net>,
Justin Dossey <dossey@flex.net> writes:
>=20
> Oh, I disagree. Having the fs be sensitive (to the fault you describ=
e) to
> cases gives me double the filename possibilities. Additionally, if t=
here

Wrong, it gives you 2 ^ (number of letters in filename) possibilities.

> describe makes that impossible. If you don't use filename completion=
or
> wildcards, then yes, you're wasting time--just don't blame it on the
> system. Capitals exist for a reason in Linux.
>=20
Unfortunately, you cannot create a case sensitive HFS file system. HFS =
is
specified to be case preserving. A Macintosh would have a severe case o=
indigestion if you fed it with a directory in which you have created bo=
th
"Makefile" and "makefile".

On a case-preserving file system, of course, your Makefile would still =
be
fount when you type M<tab>. But the only reasonably compatible way to d=
eal
with this issue is to have the HFS file system return an error if you t=
ry
to create a makefile when Makefile exists.

--=20
"Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and ori=
ginal
in your work."
-- Gustave Flaubert
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ Noris Network GmbH i.Gr/ Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'i=
ng
PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=
=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42