Re: menuconfig broke in 1.3.97?

Emil Stepniewski (emil@oeiizk.waw.pl)
Sun, 5 May 1996 17:31:03 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 2 May 1996, Mike Kilburn wrote:

> > I patched my kernel yesterday night from 1.3.86 to 1.3.97 and after
> > running make mkproper I did a make menuconfig.
> > It compiled the sourced but locked up after the message that
> > it was using the default config.in files ( I'm not at my linux
> > box now so I can't remember the exact message). Did anyone else
> > see this problem?
>
> Yes. But for me it started a few months ago. Dont remember what kernel version.
> I also upgraded to RedHat 3.0.3 about the same time so I guessed It had
> something to do with that. I just stopped using it since I have not found
> time to investigate.

Same to me. But I tried to investigate and found lxdialog, which is compiled
first, gives segmentation fault whenever run with <display_any_dialog>
option. When run with no options displays all available options and ends OK.

This happens on Slackware 2.3, gcc 2.6.3. kernel 1.3.92
When I tried this on another machine running slackware 3.0 gcc 2.7.0 ELF
same kernel - everything is OK.
lxdialog compiled on the first machine is about 145KB as opposed to about
90KB on the second machine.
I replaced 'bad' lxdialog with the 'good' one and almost everything went OK.
Output was only a little messed due to incompatible library I suppose.

Hopes this helps.

Emil