Re: linux on HFS? why not HPFS instead?

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sun, 5 May 1996 01:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 May 1996, James L. McGill wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 1996, Simon Karpen wrote:
>
> karpens} However, this is obviously a pretty long way off as we don't even yet
> karpens} have read-write HPFS support yet.
>
> I had assumed that the reason for no HPFS write support was that IBM or whoever
> would not release data, or something. I assumed that, since there wasn't even an
> experimental, dangerous, guaranteed-to-trash-your-filesystem read/write HPFS.
(clip)

I have seen read-only HPFS utilities for DOS, (back when I was into OS/2)
and from the instructions it was implied that _reading_ a HPFS partition was
not bad, but that _writing_ to one was difficult... as if there was some
really messy programming that had to be done to get everything back in the
right place.

(of course, you could use a dos partition that everyone cvan read.)

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.3.97___
To A Quick Young Fox:
Why jog exquisite bulk, fond crazy vamp,
Daft buxom jonquil, zephyr's gawky vice?
Guy fed by work, quiz Jove's xanthic lamp --
Zow! Qualms by deja vu gyp fox-kin thrice.
-- Lazy Dog