Re: Whee, Greased HedgeHog on Steroids, take 2

Fri, 3 May 1996 20:07:21 +0100 (BST)

On 2 May 1996, Andreas Koppenhoefer wrote:

> In article <31865F8F.229683A3@cnt.com> "Andrew C. Esh" <andrewes@cnt.com>
> writes:
> [...]
> I decided to devise a one-to-one conversion table for version digits.
> This will save me the trouble of guessing which version this "Greased
> HedgeHog" nomenclature is referring to.
>
> Informal names will be made up of an adjective, a small animal,
> A verb which is being performed by the small animal, and a substance
> or object being operated on by the verb. The specific words are
> determined my the digit of the version number.
>
> Kernel 1.1.18 was a Greased GroundHog selling Mountain Dew.
> Kernel 1.3.95 is a Greased HedgeHog on Steroids.
> Kernel 2.0.(0)0 will be a TurboCharged Chicken doing LSD.
>
> If you'd like, I could write a PERL script which will scan the Makefile
> of your current kernel source code and tell you the proper non-numeric
> name for that kernel.
>
> I think perl is an overkill here and maybe not (yet) available at boot
> time. I've hacked a boune shell script to do this. It should even work
> at boot time with /usr not yet mounted.
>
> Maybe Linus want to change some of these names...?

Maybe they sould change depending on where in the devlopmet cycle we are,
ie if the major patchlevel is a 'stable' release, we have faster/more
efficent sounding ones, and more iffiy (??sp) sounding, especally in the
0 - 35ish set.
Bryn~

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.