Re: Cleaning up the config files in /etc (Re: As 2.0 looms)

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 1 May 1996 16:12:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> On 29 Apr 96 at 10:49, vivek.kalra wrote:
>

> > Could we try to standardize the location of the configuration files
> > for all and sundry in /etc/conf.d and have all the conf.whatever
> > files go in there? The problem with having all these configuration
> > files residing in /etc is the same as with various rc* files -- too
> > much clutter. /etc/rc.d got rid of the rc* clutter; perhaps it is
>
> The proper path is /sbin/init.d, while the configuration files for
> this go into /etc/rc.config.d, but this is all not kernel related.
>
> > time for /etc/conf.d to do the same for config.*? I'm willing to
> > try to make a patch to do this if it is acceptable to others...
> > The changes can be done in way that if /etc/conf.d doesn't exist,
> > we look in /etc as we do now...
> >
> > Vivek
> > vk@aloft.att.com
>
> Ulrich

This isn't strictly a kernel issue... I use debian, and debian has no
/sbin/init.d or /etc/conf.d, the files are moved around. This is
distribution specific -- I don't think it's anywhere in the kernel.

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.3.97___
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
-- Justice Louis D. Brandeis