Re: Cleaning up the config files in /etc (Re: As 2.0 looms) (fwd)

Dan Merillat (harik@ao.net)
Wed, 1 May 1996 16:57:26 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:06:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: lilo <TaRDiS@ao.net> (SeNdMaIl HaRf- Bad Addr)
To: "vivek.kalra" <vk@aloft.att.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, vk@aloft.att.com
Subject: Re: Cleaning up the config files in /etc (Re: As 2.0 looms)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, vivek.kalra wrote:

> Could we try to standardize the location of the configuration files
> for all and sundry in /etc/conf.d and have all the conf.whatever
> files go in there? The problem with having all these configuration
> files residing in /etc is the same as with various rc* files -- too
> much clutter. /etc/rc.d got rid of the rc* clutter; perhaps it is
> time for /etc/conf.d to do the same for config.*? I'm willing to
> try to make a patch to do this if it is acceptable to others...
> The changes can be done in way that if /etc/conf.d doesn't exist,
> we look in /etc as we do now...

How weird. In effect, /etc IS /etc/conf.d.... :)

No. BUT: pid files should get the hell out of /etc, /etc/mtab should go
to /var/run, anything dynamic out. Subdirs for different systems
(networking, mail, whadevva)

I don't mind much, but I dislike having to rewrite so many programs to
mount / read-only. (The way it should be on a secure site.)

/etc/vga, /etc/dos, /etc/X11... A lot of intelligent distributions
allready MAKE a new dir in /etc.

--Dan