Re: Serial Console mini HOWTO

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@q.cistron.nl)
1 May 1996 22:47:02 +0200

In article <4m8f22$ds@fido.asd.sgi.com>,
Larry McVoy <lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com> wrote:
>I suffered to get this to work, you shouldn't have to. There is a patch below
>that you need to apply, I'll ship it to Linus too.

I made a serial console patch ages ago. It is more compatible with LILO
and it supports all normal ports, baudrates etc. It even includes a
very small kernel monitor for debugging.

Also, it allocates a new major/minor no for /dev/console so that /dev/console
_always_ is the physical system console, even if it is a terminal.

The patch can be found on
ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/os/linux/kernel/patches/v1.3/
(ser-cons is just the serial console patch, ser-cons-kmon includes the
serial console patch _and_ a small kernel monitor). It includes
dicumentation for the linux/Documentation/ subdirectory. Read it!

And yes we're trying to get it in the standard kernel too, but Linus
probably thinks it isn't of any real use.. for us ISPs it is a real
lifesaver though.

Mike.

--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/