Re: dropping kerneld...

hab (hab@ece.engr.ucf.edu)
Wed, 01 May 1996 12:54:31 -0400

To knock a capability just because it is something you personally don't
use and doesn't fit into your way of doing things is totally
unproductive. I believe the kerneld approach to be an advanced
technigue that should provide a big benefit in the future. Demand
to build driver capabilities with greater freedom. I believe from
reading Linus's original coment it was more directed along the lines I
don't use it so I won't fix it and if it doesn't get fixed by somebody
who wants it, it will be deleted. I looked at that as a challenge to
get it fixed, not as a reason to abondon it.

I personally use kerneld, I find the concept intrigueing and see no
disadvantage in saving Ram and possibly cache space by the automatic
unloading of those items not normally needed. I personally tune my
system by selectively loading some drivers and using kerneld for others.
This automates the use of modules letting the machine remember what is
loaded and what isn't instead of my manually loading and uloading them.
By the way their are modulules that can't exist simultaneously such as
different drivers for the parallel port depending on use at a given
time.

No matter what size machine I have available I always find a way to
give it a bigger job than it is optimized for. Including the 8192
processor MasPar that I ended up writing code to virtulize the number of
proccessors so I could use 16 times the number. Just because you seem
to have plenty of memory now doesn't mean that will always be the case.

Hubert Bahr
hab@ece.engr.ucf.edu