Re: strace and linux 1.3.97

J. Richard Sladkey (jrs@world.std.com)
Wed, 1 May 1996 00:41:08 EDT

> From: Aaron Ucko <UCKO@VAX1.ROCKHURST.EDU>
> Subject: strace and linux 1.3.97
> Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 22:20:40 -0600 (CST)

> I'm not sure if this problem occurred in older kernels, as I don't
> use strace extremely frequently, but when I tried to run strace
> version 3.0.8 (the latest, AFAIK) under Linux 1.3.97, only the
> strings in the initial exec were dereferenced.

Linus has been threatening to stop supporting /proc/$pid/mem for some
time now and perhaps he made good on his promise; and for good
reasons. In strace/util.c:umoven on sunos4 using the "old way" should
probably work. That is to say, when I upgrade to 97 (shortly) I will
try using the PTRACE_PEEKDATA method.