Re: dropping kerneld...

J. Sean Connell (diamond@connor.canuck.gen.nz)
Wed, 1 May 1996 01:46:38 +1200 (NZST)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Kevin Buettner wrote:

> Michael Meskes writes:
>
> Linus decided to remove it when someone (Simon Shapiro?) reported that
> his kernel went into a "coma". Here is the relevant post:

I had a few problems with kerneld (from modutils-1.3.57) while I was
running 1.3.57; every x hours, it would start thrashing like a snake with
a broken back and drive my load average above 16 (looks like it was
spawning a LOT of processes. Only way out was to reboot.

This hasn't happened, though, since I upgraded to 1.3.84/modutils-
1.3.69e.

--
J. Sean Connell               Systems Software Analyst, ICONZ
diamond@canuck.gen.nz         "Oh life is a glorious cycle of song,