Re: System Information

Deya Motawie (deya@cheops.apana.org.au)
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 23:15:48 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Dave Wreski wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Matt Hartley wrote:
>
> > I am interested in a System Information program. I don't know how many
> > of you have used Norton Utilities, WinProbe, Quarterdeck Manifest, or hell,
> > even MSD (Microsoft Debugging Utilit - comes with MSDOS), but I believe
> > we could all make like easier on each other if we had a standard way of
> > reporting the information of a system.
> > So I guess I have two questions. One, does something like this exist out
> > there?? And two, I have noticed most of the information is already on
> > the system, through various means such as /dev/kmem or /proc, the info
> > given from the netstat, df, and dmesg commands, and through a listing of
> > all the /lib stuff (for vers of libc etc). Does this sound like a project
> > that needs to be taken up?

If you are going to take this project , I would be more than happy to work with
you in such a project

I would appreciate if you keep me posted for any plan in this regards.

Deya

> I definately think it is, and I would love to help you. I was going to
> choose this as my senior project for my undergrad, but it was just before
> the last KHG (Kern hackers guide) and there wasn't enough information for me.
> Not only would it aid in future development, but it would also help in
> generating bug reports, and general acct/system maintence.
>
> Looking forward to working with you..
> Dave Wreski
> dwreski@ultrix.ramapo.edu

Deya Motawie Tel(O): (015) 414130
School Of Computing Science. Fax : (02) 5645341
UTS - Msc Researcher AI Lab. Email : Dhmotawi@Socs.uts.edu.au
University Of Technology, Sydney P.O. Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007
APANA System Administrator
(02 ) 692-0151 (Vox) Email : Deya@Pyramids.apana.org.au