RE: Tux 2 patents

From: Marty Fouts (marty@dotcast.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 13:29:58 EST

IANAL; this is not legal advice.

The 'one year' you are referring to is from 'disclosure', not from released
product. "disclosure" in this case is a legal term-of-art. Further, there
is a difference between US and European Union patent law, in that, IIRC, EU
law requires patent application before _public_ disclosure. In effect,
"disclosure" means revealing the idea to anyone, inside your organization or
out, but there are all sorts of corner cases in the law.

Nolo Press had a good book that discusses copyright and patent law, although
they may not have had the chance to update it to reflect recent changes.

In any event, if you are serious about either getting or trying to overturn
a patent, you need to see a lawyer specializing in patent law, because case
law frequently changes the nuances in this area.