Re: is there a limit on bss size?

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 04:29:37 EST

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Petko Manolov wrote:

> Philipp Rumpf wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:30:35PM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I put a simple construct in kernel/sched.c like this:
> > >
> > > struct runq_log_s {
> > > char comm[16];
> > > int pid;
> > > } runq_log[1024*1024];
> > >
> > > and the kernel didn't boot. Yes, I understand it is 20M of bss - so what?
>

> Is it impossible to allocate this array dynamically? I am not sure if we
> have
> to change too many things in startup code. If yes, we must have good
> enough
> arguments for Linus.

Nobody is suggesting to make any arguments for Linus. That code was just a
trivial "runq history log" thing I needed for finding out why the load on
my machine is always (at least) 1.0 and yet there is no apparent process
to be blamed for it.

What Philipp says is an interesting excercise and I might try it
today. (for my present purposes reducing the size of the log was
sufficient).

Regards,
Tigran