Re: linux-2.4.0-test9

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 19:25:44 EST

   Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

    - pre8:
       - initialize to zero -> put it in the .bss instead

Can the person who made these changes in tcp_ipv4.c talk
to me?

That particular instance screwed up all the cache line games I was
playing there for the hash tables and locks. The
"__tcp_clean_cacheline_pad" sitting around these changes should have
been a clue that something more clever than usual was going on here.

These items are specifically placed into the data section, not the
BSS, because these alignment games are not possible in the BSS.

This kind of stuff is why I like networking changes to go through me
whenever possible, to catch these sorts of misunderstandings. Alas I
was away for a week, so this time it slipped through :-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com