Re: Proposing patches for Linux 2.2.1[89] ...

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 11:26:01 EST

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 06:15:14PM +0200, Richard Ems wrote:
> It's great that the NFS patches got into 2.2.18, but why only the client
> and not the server patches? Having clients capable of NFSv3 but no
> servers doesn't make much sense IMHO! How shall I test the NFSv3
> patches whitout servers capable of NFSv3!

Oh, just the NFSv3 client makes lots of sense. It's made our day here.
Gone are problems with communication vs Solaris & AIX servers. Gone are
the speed-problems. All in all, just the client made us party. Because
our web-server get's its data via NFS.

Of course, we'd be happy to get the NFSv3 server patches in too, but
I think Alan is right here; be careful and take one step at a time.

> It would be great to see Dave Higgen's patches get into 2.2.18 ...

I'd opt for early in v2.2.19pre instead. + the NLM4 support. I'm quite
annoyed by now getting all those "Service not supported" messages.

> And for 2.2.19 ...
>
> What about autofs version 4 ?

I have no opinion here.

> And the badram patch? Works great here on 2 machines, UP and SMP! No
> need to buy new RAM modules ...
>
> Great work, thank you all a lot!
>
> Having fun with linux ...

Don't we all?! :^)

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </