Re: VM in v2.4.0test9

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 11:01:21 EST

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, David Weinehall wrote:

> Running the included program on a clean v2.4.0test9 kernel I can
> hang the computer practically in no time.

> What seems most strange is that the doesn't even get depleated.
> The machine still answers to SysRq and ping, but nothing else.

Looking again at this report in more detail, something
very strange is going on ...

> This is what I got from SysRq+M (manual copy):
>
> Free pages: 500 kB (0 highmem)
> Active: 8 inactive dirty: 1009, inactive clean:0
> free: 125 (31 62 93)

First, you have MORE free memory than freepages.high. In this
case I really don't see why __alloc_pages() wouldn't give the
memory to your processes ....

> Free swap: 64772

And there is tons of swap free...

Are you absolutely sure this is VM related? This almost looks
like the system puts a in a read request but the request queue
doesn't get unplugged, or something strange like that ...

There is more than enough memory to satisfy all VM requests and
the loop in __alloc_pages() is straightforward enough to give
your processes their memory without strange bugs ...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/