Re: Tux2 - evil patents sighted

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 20:16:19 EST

> patent restrictions. Unfortunately for Network Appliances, I developed
> all the essential concepts they describe in 1989 (the RAID optimization
> excepted, see below for what I think about that) and implemented them in
> a production system. In other words, I've got prior art; their patents
> are worthless. Furthermore, I developed the entire Tux2 design and

Not neccessarily. It depends why they took them out. It is common in the US
to patent something that you suspect isnt original just so nobody else patents
it and attacks you (fun isnt it). And they may genuinely think they are
original.

Its also very unlikely Network Appliance would both responding to you. Its
not in their legal interest to admit lack of validity.

Alan