Re: sigtimedwait with a zero timeout

From: Henrik Nordstrom (hno@hem.passagen.se)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 01:31:49 EST

You are not late. In fact you are the first who have responded to my
linux-kernel messages at all.

Yes, I am well aware of sigwaitinfo.

sigwaitinfo blocks infinitely if there is no queued signals and is the
opposite of sigtimedwait with a zero timeout.

sigwaitinfo is implemented as sigtimedwait with a NULL timeout which is
read as a timeout of MAX_SCHEDULE_TIMEOUT.

sigtimedwait with a zero timeout are meant to be used by applications
needing to poll signal queues while doing other processing. Having
sigtimedwait always block for at least 10 ms can have a quite negative
impact on such applications.

Pleae note that the first version of my patch was quite broken. A
corrected version was posted a few days later.

Thanks for your interest.

--
Henrik Nordstrom

James Antill wrote: > > Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se> writes: > > > Hi. > > > > While playing with signal queues it was discovered that sigtimedwait > > with a zero timeout apparently does block somewhat even if it should > > not. > > > > Why: > > > > It forces a schedule() > > This is a bit late (catching up with mail). But you know about > sigwaitinfo() yeh ? > > -- > James Antill -- james@and.org > "If we can't keep this sort of thing out of the kernel, we might as well > pack it up and go run Solaris." -- Larry McVoy.