Re: [patch] enabling APIC and NMI watchdog on UP systems

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 16:43:20 EST

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000 23:30:14 +0200 (MET DST),
Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se> wrote:
>The upapic-2.4.0-test9-C3 patch has another problem.
>
>On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Udo A. Steinberg wrote:
>
>>I've been giving the patch a try, however it hangs my machine during boot.
>>Here's the important bits from console:
>>
>>Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling
>>found and enabled local APIC!
>>
>>It then locks up in Calibrating delay loop...
>
>My own patch for enabling the local APIC on UP enables it from
>arch/i386/kernel/setup.c, immediately after init_apic_mappings().

Ingo and I have some minor disagreements about how the NMI on UP patch
should be done. My current version is in
ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/upapic-2.4.0-test9-C3-K3.gz. It is Ingo's
patch plus my reinstatement of bits that he removed but that I believe
are required, especially for SMP boxes. Moving clear_local_APIC() from
setup_local_APIC() back to connect_bsp_APIC() fixes the lock up in
Calibrating delay loop, this is included in my patch.