Re: Linux 2.4-test9 kernel header flaw

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 15:39:03 EST

> We really need a collection of include files that only
> define the manifest constants and structures used for
> communication with user space. These can then be used both
> by glibc and by the kernel. This yields includes <linux/foo.h>
> and <kernel/foo.h> and the former defines a constant API.
> It ideally never changes, only is added to.

Yes, please. And also include feature testing macros. That will make
the life of authors of kernel-dependent but portable software much
easier.

I.e. if you add something like
struct my_foo_ioctl { int stuff; };
also add
#define HAVE_MY_FOO_IOCTL 1

Olaf

(If absolutely necessary and indispensable, a definition may also be
deleted along with its feature macro, but this should not become the
norm.)