re: RasterMan on linux and threads

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:49:17 -0900 (AKST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

> No, pthreads changed that, from my understanding. linuxthreads did
> it all in one thing w/o ever actually calling the kernel 'clone'. pthreads
> properly calles 'clone' and therefore each thread gets it's own PID and as
> such can be scheduled on any CPU. (Well, that's not the direct reason, but
> you know what I mean).
>
> > hmmm - when did that change - i know solarids has them run on multiple
> > cpu's though...
>
> Solaris implemented it kernel-level to begin with. The first
> threading in Linux was done all in user-space, IIRC. Which meant that it
> couldn't because a single process (to the kernel) won't get multiple CPUs.
>
> Stephen

This is simply not correct, the new glibc threads are simply
the new, included in the libc LinuxThreads. Linux has always used
kernel level threads, the only difference between a 'proc' and a
'thread' is 'procs' are heavy and 'threads' are a light as it were.

LinuxThreads simply provides the access framework.

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
--About the Internet and nuclear war.