Re: 2.3.34 patch to stop kmod/modprobe loops

Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:25:23 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:57:31 -0700,
Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>Instead of limiting the number of kmods, which doesn't really fix the
>problem anyway, why not just disallow SysVIPC=m and kmod=y in the
>kernel configuration?

It seems to me that an even simpler method could be done:

1. In the help text for the Unix domain sockets, just say:
"If this is a module and kmod is also to be used, then
this module must be installed via configuration files
before multi-user mode is entered".

2. Have a configuration file to do an "insmod ..." during the
boot.

I use modules for nearly everything just to keep the kernel disk size down.
I do not tend to use kmod, but that is just because I have enough memory.

My slackware release has a file (/etc/rc.d/rc.modules) where most my insmods
are put. It would seem that the simplest compromise would be to just require
sockets to be loaded manually, then allow kmod to work normally. This should
make everyone happy, and no kernel patches would be needed. It just becomes
something to be documented as a "mis-configuration".