Re: Bloat? (khttpd)

Arjan van de Ven (arjan@fenrus.demon.nl)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:58:33 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

[snip]

[2nd issue]
> Another, but related, thing: khttpd grabs user lock on socket
> stolen from hash table. It breaks one of basic assumptions:
> backlogging does not occur, if socket is orphan.

> The first problem was mainly unsolvable inside khttpd.
> It is impossible to get bh lock in user process context. It is already
> solved (to 2.3.15) inside TCP, and solution is not so bad.
> Actually, later it even allowed to relax some constraints for
> backlog processing, so that the result is not purely negative 8).

You mean that even if there was no kHTTPd, the current "inside TCP"
solution is a good thing?

> The second flaw is more or less easy: if khttpd kept slave socket open,
> as all normal users do, rather than stole it from hash table,
> it would remove the problem.

I am uncertain that I understand you correctly.
Are you talking about the "tcp_v4_lookup_listener" call (ie. the socket
from the webserver) or about the fact that kHTTPd loses interest in the
connection from the other end, once it is in the accept-queue belonging to
the webserver?

Either way is fixable I think/hope.

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven