Re: SMP and APM

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:09:01 +0300 (MSK)

In <386236C9.9223E721@magenta-logic.com> Tony Hoyle (tmh@magenta-logic.com) wrote:
> Azeem Shahjahan Jiva wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know what the deal with APM and SMP is? Will these two every co-exist
>> peacefully together? I'd even settle for just having the machine poweroff
>> when shutdown, ideas?
>>
> Pass 'apm=smp-power-off' on the command line and it will power off for you. I guess
> the rest of the APM stuff could be made to work given enough time & coffee...

In theory -- yes, on practice it'll be useless. You can not do call to APM
functions while more then one processors are active or APIC is used. So before
every call to APM you should stop all processors except main one -- it's not
fast procedure. Then and result will be total mess in kernel and VERY slow
system. Id does not worth it IMO ...