Re: 2.2.13: ext2, ide-scsi, or possibly hardware problems

socket@peakpeak.com
21 Dec 1999 19:38:00 -0700

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
> > kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x71 { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete Error }
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> > kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=4850553, sector=4850490
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Thats a read error on /dev/hdb

I'll believe that. The best explanation I've got is that it's a
Fujitsu drive. That'll teach me to buy pre-built boxes... the drive
will probably die in a month or so, and then I'll get to buy a new
one. Whee!

> > This is odd because I mounted /dev/hdc... *not* /dev/hdd. Neither
> > tray was open.
> >
> > Several of these spewed out in the process:
> > kernel: hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > kernel: hdd: command error: error=0x50
>
> Could be the drives dont like each other, are one is jumpered for slave and
> one for "only device".

I wish it were that simple. hdc is master, hdd is slave.

> Are you sure the hdb message and the hdc/hdd affair are related.

Nope, but I figured it was possible since they're both IDE. It seemed
worth mentioning both issues, anyway.

> The former looks like it could be a genuine media problem

Yup.

> the hdc/hdd looks stranger

Yeah...it does. I'm just running a clean 2.2.13 right now. I'll
patch up to the most 2.2.14pre*, if you think it'd help, but it
doesn't look like much has changed recently with the relevant bits.
Any ideas?

--
Chris Riddoch                  socket@peakpeak.com
Will provide pseudo-insightful commentary for food

GPG key 1024D/234551DC 1999-07-15 Chris Riddoch <socket@peakpeak.com> Key fingerprint = 7AAF 5815 837C 070C 6C70 8A15 EFD2 5860 2345 51DC