Re: [linux-usb] Re: [patch] drivers/usb/usb.c: auto loading of USB

Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:33:22 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Thomas Sailer wrote:

> I did just do that (about 3 hours ago). usb-uhci did not go away. USB
> still works. Note I did not specify -k on the modprobe command line.

I think Alan's point is that you are then stuck with the usb stuff loaded
even if nothing's using it. Usb is kind of a special case though, I
guess.

I can now see the problem with post-install rules, but I still find magic
module aliases icky. One thing that crossed my mind was to make rmmod -a
a bit smarter: if it notices that a module that sits above another (i.e.
specified with the 'above' keyword in modules.conf) disappears, it could
try to remove the lower module.

But then that requires that everyone move to a version of modutils that
(a) supports the 'above' keyword and (b) is smart about removing modules
like that.

*sigh* I'm wondering what scheme parport should use -- it _was_ using
parport_lowlevel, but that didn't seem to fit in any more once we added
the register_driver port notification callbacks. (It still actually will
work, it will just warn loudly.)

Tim.
*/