Re: I get the following errors on my machine

Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:05:22 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Antonio M. Trindade wrote:

> I have a AMD k6-2 333MHz, w/ 64MB SDRAM, a Flasgpoint TX Lite mobo, a
> Symbios 53c815 PCI SCSI card. Connected to the IDE connectors on the mobo
> are a Quantum FireBall 4.3SE UDMA33 HD (primary master), a WDC1270
> (270MB) DMA16 (primary slave), a Goldstar GDC-R540B (4x CD-ROM, secondary
> master), a Iomega ZIP100 ATAPI (secondary slave) and a Plextor PX-32TSi
> (32x CD-ROM, SCSI, only SCSI device at 0:0:0). I get the following errors
> at startup:
>
> sym53x8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
> sym53c8xx: not initializing, device not supported
> ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
> ncr53c8xx: 53c815 detected
>
> After this the SCSI bus is reset and system works normally...

It is what is expected. :)

The sym53c8xx provides better support for latest chips but requires the
chip to support LOAD/STORE SCRIPTS instructions. This covers all 53C8XX
chips except 825 rev < 0x10, 810 rev < 0x10 and 815 all revisions.

The ncr53c8xx supports all 53C8XX chips but will not support the 53C1010
Ultra-160 PCI-SCSI chip. The sym53c8xx will support the C1010 (in fact,
private version already supports it).

Well... a driver that does not support a chip should just stay silent
about, and this will happen with the {ncr,sym}53c8xx drivers in some
further release. Thanks for having reported these confusing messages.

> When I try to access the ATAPI CD-ROM for the first time I get the
> following message:
>
> hdc: disabled DSC seek overlap
>
> but then the system works normally again.
>
> Another thing. I am getting DMA errors on my Quantum, and running
> badblocks indicated that I am getting bad sectors on my HD. Can this be
> caused by bugs in the IDE driver or my HS really going bad?

Sorry, but I am not competent for that one.

Gérard.