Re: kernel panic

Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:08:55 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Andreas [iso-8859-1] Günther wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what I have to do when the kernel get panic during a session? Everytime
> when I have turned off my PC, the harddisk wasn't clean umounted. And
> everytime I had to install again. Do you know a better method to finish
> the kernel panic?
>
> In advance I'm thankful for your help!

How did you turn off your machine?
Execute `man shutdown` to learn how to turn off your machine.
Further, even if you do hit the reset or the power switch, only
the latest files you were working on might be hurt. The machine
does a `fsck` upon startup and repairs the file-system. You should
not have to reinstall anything.

If you are getting a kernel panic while using a standard distribution
kernel, not an experimental one, and the result is unrepairable
disk corruption, you most likely have a severe hardware error.

They may be caused by:

(1) Overclocking the CPU
(2) Using DMA on an IDE drive that doesn't support it (UDMA).
(3) Bad or two slow RAM. If your machine needs P100 RAM, you
must use P100 RAM.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Warning : The end of the world as we know it requires a new calendar.
Seconds : 913865 (until Y2K)